Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Les Mis

Well, I have an exam in a few hours, but I'm at that point where I just can't study anymore, so I decided to blog a bit.

For some reason, I've been thinking about the musical Les Misérables recently. I saw the production a while back... Oh, it must be a year ago now, and it was just one of those amazing (!!!) stories that you can't help thinking about even well after it's over. Well, recently I've just had this one part of a song stuck in my head. If you know the musical at all, it's the part where Marius comes to the café after seeing Cosette to meet with other revolutionaries. They're all gung-ho about starting a revolution and Marius is just in that lovey-dovey state. It's quite a powerful scene, I think. Anyways, part of the lyrics go like this:

Had you been there tonight
You might know how it feels
To be struck to the bone
In a moment of breathless delight!
Had you been there tonight
You might also have known
How your world can be changed
With just one burst of light!
And what was right seems wrong
And what was wrong seems right.

And then Marius does his own take of the chorus. Because the chorus this far has been: "Red, the blood of angry men / Black, the dark of ages past / Red, a world about to dawn / Black, the night that ends at last!" Well, Marius's version goes like this: "Red, I feel my soul on fire / Black, my world if she's not there / Red, the colour of desire / Black, the colour of despair!" It's such a powerful part, one of my favourites in the entire musical. It just describes love so well, I think!

Sigh. Now if only musicals were reality, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment