Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Trash the Dress?

I am a big fan of wedding photography (whudda thunk?). But one slightly unconventional aspect of wedding photography is starting to take off. On my Facebook feed today, a photographer I like posted some photos from a Trash the Dress session she just had with one of her clients. I was intrigued. I'd heard of, and even seen pictures of, TTD shoots but I've never really blogged about it before. In some ways, I think I'd love to do one after I'm married. I mean, you're never going to wear your dress again, right? It's just going to sit there "suffocating in plastic in your closet" as one website said. And I'm pretty sure, as sentimental as it is, my daughter would like to wear her own dress when she gets married (assuming I have a daughter!), so no point in saving it -- I know I don't want to wear my mom's dress (as lovely as it is). I want my own. So voila! Trash the dress sessions. Apparently a lot of fun and they always result in beautiful photos! Here are some I found online:



Water is a popular choice for trash the dress shoots. There's so many ideas out there! I personally really like the underwater shots, though the ones in fountains seem like fun, and the ones on beaches always look so lovely.


Paint is another theme for a TTD sesh. Funky! And daring.

Or you could go with something a little more creative: this couple had a pillow fight and got feathers everywhere...



Cute photos, don't you think? But what do you think? Would you have a trash the dress sesh? I don't know if I'd actually be brave enough for it (plus, those dresses cost a lot of money!) but they look like a lot of fun, and could be part of the wedding experience. Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I am not really a fan of them, because I'd keep thinking about the effort that someone put into making it the entire time. Plus I might end up renting. But if you like it, go for it- the first underwater photo looks pretty awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, maybe you're right. I don't know if I could actually be so daring. But I've seen some beautiful pictures that have come out of Trash the Dress sessions... So I don't know. Good news is I have a long time to decide. Bad news is I have a long time to decide. :( Haha just kidding... :P

    ReplyDelete