Friday, January 22, 2010

A Modest Proposal

Well it's sunny and beautiful for really the first time in a long time, here. Yay! I hope this sun stays. I hate the cold, rainy weather that my area gets throughtout a lot of the year.

But anyways. Did I tell you that someone I know just recently got engaged? It's so cute. I saw her engagement pictures on Facebook and they were so pretty! Which reminds me... I was looking up engagement stories online and some of them are just plain amazing! There was one where a guy had left the ring inside a rose and so the girl had to play "he loves me, he loves me not" to get the ring. And here's another one:

It had been one of those Mondays, I was finally home from work, and I find an envelope taped to the apartment door. Confused, I open up letter #1 or the beginning of a series of clues that will end in a life-changing event. There is a big black M with a handwritten note talking about the joys of living together, followed by clue #1, "a table we sat at very often when we first started dating eating free food." At this point, I am excited and nervous and, for the moment, not breathing. I take a few breaths and call my mom (Tyler had asked her permission to marry me three days ago). Letter/clue 2 will be found at the place I worked when we first started dating. We spent many nights there getting to know one another as we rolled silverware. The second letter has an A and talks about our awkward beginnings: I am Tyler’s one and only girlfriend, now fiancĂ©e. Clue #2 leads me to our favorite Mexican restaurant: the place we can always be found. Eventually, I find the waiter who has the next letter for me. This letter has an R with a note talking about how we are made for each other. Clue #3 is "I'll love you forever and like you for always, as long as I’m living my baby you’ll be..." - an inside joke and quote from a Robert Munsch Book. I’m told to go to our college campus and look where I might find this book. I search the library and eventually find the fourth letter. This letter has another R and talks of making all of our dreams come true… together. Clue #4 sends me to the classroom where we had our first class together. Taped to the door, this letter has a Y and talks about how lucky we are to have found each other. Clue #5 sends me to an empty classroom, with a strategically-placed chair and projection screen. This last letter says,"ME?... have a seat." So putting it all together, it spells out Marry Me? I sit down in this dark classroom, thinking I’m alone, and our song starts playing as the background of this homemade movie, and I start crying when it reads "I went home to Louisville for Christmas; little did I know that the greatest present I would get that year was realizing I loved you." The music fades, and Tyler turns me to face him and gets down on one knee. He barely gets out, “I can’t live without you and I don’t want to spend another day thinking that you might not be mine for forever, will you be my lovebird and mate with me for life? Will you marry me? I respond "Yes," hug him, and cry even harder. It was the perfect proposal, everything and more than I thought it would be, the start of our happily ever after.

Cute or what? Haha, I laughed at "lovebird" but I thought it was just so sweet, and creative to do a scavenger hunt like that.

What do you think? How would you like to be proposed to? (I know we, as girls, don't really have any say in it, but what would the perfect proposal look like to you?)

4 comments:

  1. I actually have a tear in my eye, that was so sweet :) I decided that I don't want to think about how I'd like to be proposed to. I want to be surprised. But I think that guys are terrible at hiding things like that, so it wouldn't be a complete surprise, but still :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Guys think they don't need to do anything... that girls will be happy with the bare minimum anyway... Little do they know :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a proposal should be personal and private. I mean, it doesn't have to be but I think it's so much sweeter if you can just have the moment witht he two of you instead of sharing it with 500 friends and family members. And the one knee? ITS A MUST!

    Something crazy would be neat though, just as a great story to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe, loved reading these. And the funny thing is, now Shell has been proposed to! Yay!
    I agree, Abbey (Zu) - I think I'd like something a lot more personal and private. We'll see what happens, though, when the time comes! :)

    ReplyDelete