Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bonjour!

So... It's been a while. Sorry to everyone - life has been crazy! Among other things recently, I moved, it was my birthday, I was sick with the flu... And then everything else on top of it! So I haven't had much thought of weddings at all. Until recently. I've been watching "Say Yes to the Dress" a lot (especially since I was sick and since we got a new TV system set up)... Man, that show is so good. But sometimes a little crazy! I can't believe these brides who come into their appointment saying, "I'm comfortable spending up to $10,000 on my wedding dress." I mean, really? For one dress, for one day, for a few hours, you're willing to drop 10 grand? I mean, let's keep it real. For $10000 you could:
- Sponsor 2 children for about 14 years (on the rate of $30/month)
- Give 100 women in developing countries the chance to get literacy training for a year, including pre-natal, delivery, and post-natal services (based on Samaritan's Purse "Free a Woman from Poverty, Abuse and Exploitation" gift of $100).
- Provide 250 adults in Liberia with education for several months (based on Samaritan's Purse "Literacy Training" gift of $40).
- Buy antibiotics for 3333 children (based on World Vision's "Antibiotics" gift option).
- Buy 667 mosquito nets that can save up to 5333 children from malaria-bearing mosquitos (based on World Vision's "Mosquito Nets" gift option).
- Purchase 1667 fruit trees such as banana, papaya, mango and orange that can give families the vitamins they need (based on World Vision's "Fruit Trees" gift option).
- Give 167 Afghan farmers the chance to become pomegranate, saffron, or pistachio farmers (based on World Vision's "Help an Afghan Farmer" option).
- And a whole lot more!
(I hope my math was alright on all of these! But I think it was.) If you want to learn more, just google organizations like World Vision and Samaritan's Purse!
Ok, I'll get off my soap box now.
But, I promise, I really do love "Say Yes to the Dress" -- how could a weddingaholic like me not?

2 comments:

  1. Yikes. I mean I'd be lucky to have 10 grand to spend on the wedding itself. I'd have, oh say a budget of 5000? if that?

    I'd rather save that money for the honeymoon and go somewhere crazy like europe. And still, that's TONS of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know. One thing I'm really learning is how expensive weddings are! It's RI-DI-CU-LOUS.
    Honeymoons are fantastic, especially since they're a once-in-a-lifetime kind of event. I love travelling! ;)

    ReplyDelete