Sunday, July 4, 2010

Registries, Money, and a Movie

Hello to all my amazingfully numerous blog readers... ;)

It's been a while since I last posted, again. My laptop charge cord died (again! I have no luck with these things. I don't even know why. Just one day it decided it didn't want to do its job anymore.) and since my sister is taking a class online right now, my mom was writing report cards, and my brother has no internet connection at his place and comes to our house to use the computer, I haven't had much of a chance to blog about weddings in recent times. But now I have a new charge cord and I am content. So on to weddings!

My parents actually just came back from a wedding themselves today. I don't know the couple who got married, but I've heard all about their wedding. Apparently it was a really expensive wedding, in the tens of thousands of dollars range, I think around $40,000, maybe? I don't remember the exact figure at the moment. But isn't that crazy? Yikes! And my mom was commenting on the extremely expensive taste of the bride. She had, for their registry, registered things such as these 2 frying pans: one for $149.99 and the other for $159.99. Can you believe it? I mean, my mom was saying, "Imagine. I could've said, 'I bought the married couple a frying pan.' Doesn't that sound like I was cheap? But no, this frying pan cost about 150 bucks!" Haha. Like, really? My mom ended up buying white towels, which actually weren't on the wedding registry, because the bride had registered for two sets of towels. One of them were really expensive and my mom said ugly too! And the other set, there was some confusion because no employee could tell my mom which set exactly was registered. So my mom went with an elegant white towel set that would look nice in any home. And she still paid a pretty penny for it, but not the outrageous price that the bride had requested for that one set. Oh, and then, the bride had registered this plate setting, complete with a bowl, teacup, plates etc (6 pieces in total, I think)... Wanna guess how much? $100. Per place setting. And she wanted 12. Well, no one had bought any, and my mom was not going to buy just one place setting or all twelve! Haha. Oh my...

Anyways... Oh! Totally unrelated to weddings, but the other day I watched "The Young Victoria," a movie about Queen Victoria, with my family. SOOO good. I highly recommend it. Very interesting, and though they dramatized a few elements, it was mostly all historically accurate. It had Emily Blunt in it (who, among other things, played 'Emily' in 'The Devil Wears Prada,") and Rupert Friend (who played Mr. Wickham in the 2005 version of "Pride and Prejudice," the one with Keira Knightley [oh, also, on the topic of Keira Knightley, I say "Atonement" the other day, too. Really good movie! But really sad!]) -- I loved Rupert Friend's character especially. He was so ... noble and kind. He plays Prince Albert. The movie also had notable English actors such as Jim Broadbent (Professor Kirke from Narnia and Slughorn from Harry Potter), Miranda Richardson (Rita Skeeter from Harry Potter and Madame Giry from the 2004 movie of "Phantom of the Opera"), Paul Bettany (Chaucer in "A Knight's Tale," JARVIS from Iron Man 1 and 2, Charles in "A Beautiful Mind"), and Mark Strong (Mr. Knightly from the Gweneth Paltrow version of "Emma"). They were all so good in it and I think that the movie has become one of my favourites of all time. I didn't know much about Queen Victoria, but I learned a lot about her life after watching this movie. SO good!

Anyways, though. I'm off to sleep shortly. I'll try to post some photos soon!

Lots of love,
M.

No comments:

Post a Comment